Thursday 27 April 2017

Evaluating my production work: Assignment 2

1) What typical features (conventions) of a film poster have you used? How do they help to make the poster effective in attracting an audience? (Key conventions include title, release date, institutional information, reviews, a central image etc.) 

The title 'RESURRECTION' means death so when the audience look at the title, they will know that this movie has death in it and is a thriller/horror movie.The central image for my film poster is the murderer and the blood on the shirt stands out to the audience to let the audience know that there will be violence in this film and the audience will automatically recognise that the film is horror. The central image is looking down because no one knows who he is. The tagline ' Just when you thought everything was fine' allows the audience to know more about what might happen during the film. The reviews of the film will let the audience know that this film is a great film to watch as newspaper companies rate it high and recommend to watch it. The release date says 'Coming soon' which will keep the audience excited about the release of the movie. The age rating for my film is 15 because there is violence in the film.

2) What is the genre of your film? How would your target audience know the design of your poster? E.g. Colour scheme, font choice, mise-en-scene (props, costume, character, setting). 

The genre of my film is Thriller/Horror. The blood on the white shirt connotes violence and murder. I have shown that my movie is about horror by making the text black to red. The colour black connotes death, power and mystery. This allows the audience to recognise that the film is linked with death and mystery. The colour red connotes blood and crime so it could be linked with power, strength and danger. The central image is of the murderer looking down and there is blood on his shirt. The blood could allow the target audience to know that there will be horror in this film and the blood also suggests violence. The font I chose was big and bold so the target audience can clearly see the name of the film which is 'RESURRECTION' which means death so the audience will also know that the movie is about death.

3) What institutional information have you used to try and sell the film and how does this appeal to the audience? E.g. 'From the Producers of...' / Star power / Directors / Reviews.

I have used Warner bros, the production company I would want to sell my film. I have also included a positive review so the audience will know that this film is a good film to watch. This will encourage the audience to go and watch the film and have fun and other films created by the same production company or the same director. Warner bros is a successful American company who have created films like 'The Conjuring' My film will target the same audience as 'The Conjuring' as it is a horror film.

4) Where are there examples of synergy between your storyboard and trailer? (Synergy is the link or interaction between two different media texts). 

There is synergy between my storyboard and trailer because my central image appears in both of them. My trailer starts with the institutional logo and also my storyboard starts with my institutional logo. My film poster and storyboard also include's a close-up of the murderer so the audience will be able to see the emotions. Towards the end of my trailer, it shows the title, tagline and the release date and it also does on my storyboard.

5) Extension: What Representations have you used in your film? (gender / race / age / character type)? Are these reinforcing or challenging stereotypes?

For my film, I have represented one ethnic minority. The murderer is a Caribbean teenager. Hollywood stereotypes will usually stereotype the ethnic minority as the murderer/killer in horror films and in this case it is. Hollywood stereotypes would usually think a killer/murderer in a horror film would be a male because some would think that a male is more vigorous.

No comments:

Post a Comment